fabricologist

fabricologist

Monday, January 23, 2012

Why I Live to Quilt, But Don't Quilt to Live

I think this from time to time, but today, I felt the need to write it down, perhaps as a reminder to myself.  I love quilting, sewing and all things crafty.  And there are many times when I am at work and I just wish I could quit my job and stay at home and do this all day long.  But I can't, and I really don't want to.

Now I know that there are lots of quilters and crafters who make a living at it.  And I am glad you can and do.  But I know me, and it would take some of the joy out of it if it was my job.  Plus there would be a bunch of days like today.  I'm off.  I'm home. Alone.  I can sew whatever I want as long as I want.  And I can't decide what to work on.

There are lots of possibilities.  There are 16 items on my in progress list.  None extremely pressing, but still, there are people waiting for their quilts.  Family members mostly.  There is this one that needs more blocks made:


 There is this, my second try at paper piecing.  Not bad, but it would go smoother if I took a class I think.
 This picture is of a beautiful scarf my daughter made me.  I know it's not sewing, but it is cold today and this is keeping me warm.
 Then there is this little quilt. number 11 on my list to be exact.  My list is not in priority order, just in "whatever came into my head" order.  I pieced this in an evening last summer.  I had bought a charm pack of what I think was Kona Rainbow Charms.  When I got it, I flipped through them and loved the order they were in.  So I cut some white charm squares and laid it out and Voila!! A rainbow charm quilt is born.
 I pieced and pressed it and hung it up to look at for a bit, then into the closet it went.   Until today.  It is grey, cold and rainy here today and the perfect day to let the sun shine on a rainbow.  So I found some bleached muslin in my stash and my last chunk of batting and set about pin basting on the floor.

 And now, we quilt.  And something else about me: I won't be able to do anything else until it's done being quilted.  It may not get the binding on it soon, but it will get quilted.  I have a Swoon block cut and marked and waiting to be stitched, so I need to get a move on.
Hope there are rainbows in your week.

No comments: