fabricologist

fabricologist

Friday, October 12, 2012

23 Minutes

I wanted to get some sewing time in yesterday.  Madame Samm, of Sew We Quilt says you can get lots done if you do it in 23 minute blocks of time.  That is apparently the amount of time our focus is at peak performance level.  So I thought I would give it a try. 

I went into the sewing room and sat down at the machine.  I checked the clock.  I turned on the machine.  Oops, left the wrong color thread in there.  Changed that, got the pieces I was going to sew together.  Took a few stitches...oops, machine needed oil and dusting, too dirty to run smooth.  Did that...tried again...oops, needle broke on small metal part of zipper that should not have been where it was.  Checked clock again, 15 minutes gone.  Started again after changing needle.  Finally got those few pieces together in 35 minutes.  Then I quit for the day to go fix dinner.

I was so frustrated.  I hope to try again on Saturday after work.  We'll see.  Meanwhile here are some pics from last Monday's sewing session:

            October's bee blocks for Sunday Morning Quilts Bee
             Two more bandanna bibs for drool monster baby B
               More long pants for the same little drool monster
corduroy

flannel

more corduroy

inside out

Hope you have a great weekend and get lots of 23 minute things done.

8 comments:

Richard Healey said...

Last night I sat down to sew. The baby started crying. Got her happy. Went to sew the kids made her mad and she is crying again. I am one that sews better with a good 5 hour chunk of time. Oh well guess I need to think smaller and just try the 23 minute thing.

http://richardquilts.blogspot.com
http://trackmyshows.blogspot.com

Amy's Crafty Shenanigans said...

I'm a person who works in chunks of time - I sew, put it on the living room floor, get side tracked by the internet, get a drink and get sidetrackd by the cookies in the kitchen, go back to some sewing, put the created item in the living room, look 'quickly' at my emails... etc etc!!! I'm interested to see what my times are for each distratcion and sewing time!!!

Celtic Thistle said...

I think my 23 minutes would be very like yours, more likely to get 23 minutes actual sewing out of the 1 hour I have been sitting at the sewing machine :)

Catherine said...

I like the 23 minute idea. I sew in short periods of time, usually a half hour. Do a little house work or yard work, grab tea or coffee, sit down again. Sometimes I sew for an hour. I am learning that dust will always be there, food will get cooked, dogs will survive one less brushing. Sewing time is me time and me time is good for all of us.

charlotte said...

Story of my life Richard...I guess yours too.

charlotte said...

It's amazing how alike we all are. Maybe I am A.D.D. lol

charlotte said...

Sounds familiar, Fiona.

charlotte said...

That's right Cathy...if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.