fabricologist

fabricologist

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

WIP Wednesday

So it's a vacation week for me and I am trying to do as much sewing as I can. I know once this week is over, it will be back to 30 minutes sewing here and there. And I am going to share lots of it here, I hope. So today, it's WIP Wednesday here.

I have about 5 or 6 projects in motion, but today I am focusing on this one:

 I asked for a few quilting books for Christmas and Santa didn't disappoint. This one has been on my list since it came out. I love Cheryl's style and this book is more than just quilts. Beautifully done.
 My goal is always to use these books and not just read them and stack them aside. This quilt really spoke to me for some reason, so I chose it for my first one from the book. (Sorry for the crappy lighting in the sewing room)
 I have been wanting to use these lovelies since I bought them and this seems the perfect project for the first cuts. I am trying really hard to sew from my stash this year. This pattern is supposed to be paper pieced, which I have to admit, I still have never tried. I wasn't ready to try it with this one yet either. I used my Tri Recs tools rulers which happened to be the exact size I needed for these.
I have been saving this yard of Wordplay for about a year I think, and decided it would be perfect for the background. Trouble was, I needed another yard to do the layout in the picture.  I put out a plea here and on flickr to see if someone had another yard they would be willing to trad, but alas, no takers. So I set out to reconfigure the layout and make it work. I tried adding several different fabrics for a more scrappy background, but I just didn't like it. So my little quilt will be even rows of 5 flags each. It should finish at about 42 inches square, instead of the 42 x 54 size. I am still going to love it.
Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced. Talk to you soon.

3 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

Great quilt!

SarahZ said...

LOVE squared elements! This is a perfect showcase!!!

AmandaK@whatthebobbin said...

Pretty, pretty quilt!