fabricologist

fabricologist

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

My Strip Easy Quilt Challenge

So Denise at Pieced Brain had this idea to host a challenge where we make things with strips, which, let's face it, we all have bunches of sitting in bins and bags, right? So, of course, I joined right up since I had just been making bee blocks with strips that very week. So, this is what I did:
 I took a bunch of strips and made 4 Scrapper's Delight blocks from the Sunday Morning Quilts book. Each block is 12 1/2 inches. And then I sewed them all together into a 24-ish inch square.
 I made a quilt sandwich out of it and sort of doodle swirly quilted it. Yes, that is a real technical quilting term.
 I backed it with a plain piece of scrap fabric that was a couple of inches smaller than my quilted square and I stitched them together, leaving an opening for stuffing.
 I stuffed it, stitched it closed and photographed it. And now it is on my couch and let me tell you, it is a great size and so comfortable too.
 I might be onto something here. My other couch pillows are 18-20 inches and not nearly this fluffy.
And to think it all started with a bunch of scrap strips and a challenge. Thanks, Denise. This turned out great! Be sure to check out the other challenge quilters.

10 comments:

Jeanie said...

Love the pillow and it really does look scrunchy and comfy! Don't you just love a challenge or blog hop to get the sewing machine humming!?

Lisa England said...

Just lovely! I find scrappy things to be so interesting -- each time you look you might see something different.

Pieced Brain Quilt Designs said...

Your pillow looks great! Using strips can be addicting...

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Love the scrappy pillow.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

great idea!!! Who can't use a comfy pillow!

Lynne said...

Your pillow looks soft and dreamy, very pretty! I have that book too, and I love it : )

tink's mom said...

Fun pillow, great idea for using up some of the strips in the never ending strip pile.

tink's mom said...

Fun pillow, great idea for using up some of the strips in the never ending strip pile.

Lisa Clark said...

Love the pillow!

SIMPLESEW said...

hopping over from the hop, very pretty, I love making pillows..