fabricologist

fabricologist

Monday, September 12, 2016

Summer Solstice-All Together

This is the next phase of the Simmer Solstice QAL. Where we put all the blocks together. For me, that meant only 4 blocks. 4 very large blocks. Each block is 40 inches square to make a queen size quilt for my bed.

This is one of the blocks. I love the size because it helps to show off the Mendocino prints that I love so very much.
 Next I laid it out on the bed to see how I liked it with the sashing, as in this picture.
 Or maybe without the sashing as in this picture. After discussing it with my husband and getting my daughter's opinion, I decided without.
Omalley's opinion is that either way, it will be a cozy quilt to sleep both on and under. So, yay!
 So, the assignment was to sew all the blocks together. My problem with that was, I wanted to quilt each block separately, and then attach them to one another. I couldn't see fighting all that fabric to quilt it on my Bernina. I had a specific quilting motif in mind.
 So I decided to do it my way and see if I could still meet the deadline. And the answer is yes!
 I love the secondary design that putting the blocks side by side gives this quilt. I quilted it in Aurifil 40 weight thread in a hot pink color.
 It's a little hard to see here, both indoor and outdoor shots, but it looks great against the grey background.
 I am pretty happy with it. I am planning to take the sashing strips and put a grey border all the way around the quilt and quilt it with waves, cause, you know, mermaids and fish?
 The points meet up pretty well and now I have to decide on a back. I am thinking of buying some extra wide backing fabric. I love how easy that makes a large quilt to finish.
 I will still have a bit of wrestling to do with this baby. I need to quilt the centers of all those squares still. I am thinking on how I want to do it.
 When it's done, I will be back to show off the final pictures to you. The parade of finished quilts may come before I get done, but if so, I'm okay with that. This baby is so close, I know I will go on to finish it.
Thanks for reading to the end. Thanks to Melissa for a great quilt along. I have loved every minute.
Talk to you soon.

4 comments:

Alison V. said...

This is so pretty in the Mendocino fabric! :)

Melissa Corry said...

It is absolutely gorgeous!!! I love, love, love the way you are doing the quilting. So pretty!!!! And It is a such a fun secondary pattern in the middle of the quilt without the sashing. This is just going to be a stunner all finished up. And yes, you are so close to being done, yippee!!! Thanks so much for quilting along with me, it was so much fun!!!

Beausoleil Quilts said...

I agree that it looks great with or without the sashing. Lovely quilting.

Kim said...

This is gorgeous! The grey background is perfect with all those beautiful prints.