fabricologist

fabricologist

Friday, January 5, 2018

She Said No More Quilts

My oldest daughter told me awhile back that she needed no more quilts. Now, that's just crazy talk, I thought. But for awhile, I made her and her family no quilts. I sewed clothing instead and I did enjoy that a lot. But then, one day I saw this on line and I was a goner.
This is Front Yard by Sandra Clemons for Michael Miller. Now there was a bundle on sale and so I bought it, along with a bit of extra yardage of two prints, knowing that this was destined to be a quilt for Miss N. She is the youngest grand baby and only has a few baby quilts to her name as well as one bed size quilt. And she is a purple girl too.

I wasn't sure what to make exactly, but I knew I would fussy cut these birds for the center of the blocks. Then, Allison of Cluck Cluck Sew shared a pattern for no pointed stars and I knew that was the one. This is such an easy quilt block to make. I decided to make 30 blocks originally, but then found I didn't have quite enough fabric for 30, so 5 x 5 blocks it was for a total of 25.
This is a shot of most of the blocks. My design wall isn't quite wide enough to fit them all. I just put them up there as I went, and this is not the final arrangement, but you get the idea. I knew I wanted to add sashing of some sort, but what?
 In an effort not to waste the scraps, which I often just toss in the trash, I sewed all of the cut HSTs that were trimmed away. This went pretty quickly, despite the fact that there were, 200 pairs of them. Chain piecing is your friend here.
 Then I pressed all the seams open, to reduce the bulk in them since they were so small.
And of course I had to clip off all the little flags that were hanging off at the opposite corners. So happy this part is behind me now.
 Now I have begun sewing them together in strips like the orange one above. My plan is to use them as sashing between the blocks. Before I do that, I need to get all the blocks squared up at 12.5 inches and get all my sashing strips sewn together.
This is approximately how it will look. I have a dark grey that I will use for the corner pieces in between the sashing strips. I don't think I have enough to go around the outside edge of the blocks, so that will be another adventure to figure out, once I get to that point. The goal is to get this done ad quilted by spring break when I go to visit so I can take it with me and give it to her.

Have a great weekend and I will see you back here soon. Linking up with Amanda Jean at Crazy Mom Quilts. Finishing 25 blocks and 200 HSTs qualifies as a finish in my book.

11 comments:

Betsy said...

I know she will love it!

Karen S said...

Sometimes it is really hard to resist making a quilt, especially when the fabric is so gorgeous.
Great choice of block to use.

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Very nice quilt - I love that you've taken the time to make all those little HSTs!

Lisa T said...

What a beautiful quilt! I love it when one fabric you fall in love with inspires an entire design. I'm also a fan of sewing up those little HSTs from scraps. I love that your using them to make the sashing.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Those birds are TOO cute!! FYI... DS2 said he didn't need anymore quilts, either. Crazy, right?!

Charlotte M. said...

Thank you Betsy. I think she will too.

Charlotte M. said...

Thanks Karen. I was so happy to have found it. It really is very easy. And I love the birds on this fabric.

Charlotte M. said...

Thanks. I am glad I did too, but it looks like I won't have enough to sash with. But Fear not, I have found another way to use them. More soon.

Charlotte M. said...

Thank you Lisa. I don't always do that but this time I am happy to.

Charlotte M. said...

They don't understand that you can never have too many quilts!

Barbara said...

Your quilt turned out beautifully! I'm planning to use the CCS tutorial for no point stars for a quilt, too. Your stars seem to have more open space around them than Allison's do. I love that look. How did you adjust the measurements? I see that your block size is also bigger. I'd love any tips you can offer. Thank you!