fabricologist

fabricologist

Friday, May 25, 2018

A Beautiful Friday Finish

I have finished the quilt for my niece and have just returned from the post office, sending it off to her. I am thankful that it is done and pleased with the way it turned out. Pictures? Of course.
 I chose the Churn Dash pattern for two reasons. Number one, I have always wanted to make a Churn Dash quilt and number two, my sister encouraged me to use a traditional pattern and make it fit my niece's sensibilities with the fabric choices.
 Now, apparently I can't count, because I had these blocks left over. But fortunately they look wonderful on the back of the quilt. If she gets tired of the front, the back is like a whole new quilt.
We decided on shades of blue, since that is her favorite color. We threw in a few grays for interest and made some of the blocks reversed also for interest. I decided to make a few blocks out of 4 smaller churn dashes. The large blocks finished at 12 inches so it was easy to just make 6 inch blocks and slip them in there.


I love the combinations of fabrics and the shades of blue in here, from the very dark to the very light and all the blues came from my stash.
 I made the label on the back from one of my new labels from Dutch Label Company and stitched it to a leftover 6 inch block and then hand stitched it to the back of the quilt.

I can't wait to hear how she likes it. I know it will be just perfect for her. Talk to you soon.
Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts.

3 comments:

Donna J said...

I'm not usually a fan of churn dash quilts, this one is different. Love the colors an sizes of the blocks.

Laura said...

I have had a churn dash quilt on my to-make list for a while; I really love yours! And I love the X that appears around the smaller blocks -- what a cool and unexpected result.

Karen S said...

Lovely quilt. This is a great finish. I love seeing how all the churn dash blocks turned out. Gorgeous blues, too.