fabricologist

fabricologist

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Requested

So I have been sewing like a fiend here, but sometimes it doesn't feel like I get much finished. Mostly I am making hexie flowers right now for the Kingfisher Stitch Along, hosted by Stitched in Color and Tales of Cloth. But that really isn't all.

My middle daughter will occasionally call me up and ask me a question that goes something like this: "Mom, can you make____?" Sometimes it's something she's seen on pinterest, and sometimes just something she's thought about that she wondered if there was a way to do it.

The latest request was for some containers made of fabric to hold things. When she asked, I knew immediately that Dana of Made Everyday had the solution. I had seen her pattern for her hold it bins when she first released it, but I had no need for any so I admired it and moved on.

I sent my daughter the link and she declared them perfect. I then sent her photos of fabric in her box. She had shopped my stash before I moved and I put all her choices into one box. Whenever she asks for something, we check the box to see if we have some fabric that will work, before purchasing any, although we have done that too.

Here is what I made for her:

 This is a napkin holder. It actually is supposed to have a strap across the top to keep the breeze from tossing your napkins if you are outside, but since she won't be, we omitted it.
 These are two of the larger bins. Again, without the handles, per her request. She loves blue and she loves batik fabrics.

These two are from the drawer organizer collection. They are to put into a drawer, so they are shallower than the others. This collection has several sizes and shapes so you can really clean up that messy drawer.

These were all fast and fun to make and I will definitely be doing some more soon. The pattern can be found at Made Everyday if you are interested.

One other request was from my husband, for two more grocery bags. I made some a couple of years ago from a pattern by Michelle Patterns. They are just like the plastic grocery bags and I love the size of them and how easy they are to fill and carry. I have I think, six already. But we always seem to need at least one more. So today I fulfilled that request also.
I have had these fabrics in my stash for at least 3-4 years, maybe longer. I love them, but could never figure out what to do with them until now. Now I can look at my pretty fabrics every time we go to the grocery store. These bags are well constructed and the other ones I made a couple of years ago have held up very well and they wash up so easily in the machine.

So, see, I have been doing something besides hexies. Talk to you soon.

1 comment:

Outback Crafter - Debra said...

So busy. All your projects look amazing.