fabricologist

fabricologist

Sunday, July 28, 2019

I Made a Bag!

I have been wanting to make a small-ish messenger bag for awhile now. I had loved the fabric, and finally caved and bought some. And then it sat for several months. On Friday, when I went to sew, I discovered that my projects are all at quilting or pin basting stage and that's not what I felt like doing.
So I pulled out my fabric, I sat down with my paper and pencil and made a quick sketch. And then, I was off.
I love this fabric so much! I bought this print in canvas, and as sturdy as that is, I decided to add a layer of Pellon 809 to give it a bit of extra body.
This is the fabric I chose for the lining. I added a few pockets for things. I don't like my pen or pencil rolling around in the bottom of my bag. The shorter pockets are for lip balm and nail clippers and such. I left the printed selvedge on and just hemmed it under. It makes seeing the top of the pocket very easy.
The side is a mere one inch wide. I told you I like a small bag. I attached the strap with a sturdy X in a square, double stitched.
And this is a look inside with all my stuff in it. Everything fits just right. I don't want so much room that I can keep stuffing things in there.
And I added a strip of red to the edge of the flap for color and interest. The strap is long enough so I can wear it cross body and right at my hip. I love my new bag! And as many bags as I have made over the last year for my craft fairs, this was a pretty quick one to design and put together. I think it only took about 3 or so hours. I started in the morning and was done by lunch time.

Thanks for stopping by. See you soon.

No comments: