fabricologist

fabricologist

Sunday, December 1, 2019

Super Simple Advent Calendar

I got out all of my Christmas stuff yesterday, in anticipation of decorating. I found the Advent calendar that my children used when they were young. I was a thirty something mama with 2 young children. I worked with a woman who's youngest was in eighth grade. She had grand children. While we worked together, in a school cafeteria, she made this for my children. When I saw it, I thought it would be good to share it. I have made a couple for my grand children and it's super simple.

It is made from a single piece of felt, cut 36 1/2 inches long by 1 3/4 inches wide. This one is cut with pinking shears to give it a bit of a fancy edge.
Today, if I was making it, I would use my pinking blade on my rotary cutter for easy cutting.
This is the little poem at the top. My friend typed it up and cut it with her pinking shears, and she attached it with brads. I did not have brads when I made mine for my grandchildren, but you can attach it however you like.
You need some yarn for the bows. The top one is green, and you loop it through the jingle bell and knot it. Every fifth bow from the top down is also green. My friend used a hole punch to make holes for the yarn, but you can just sew it through with a needle as well. Then, knot the yarn so it won't come out, and tie it into a bow.
This is the top back. Just make a simple sleeve, glued, stitched or however, and thread a double strand of yarn through it for the hanger.
Tie all the bows and you're ready to go. This one is over 30 years old and still going strong. My daughters each have one for their kids. It's so simple to make and I hope you make one for your children or grand children. I kept the original at my house, and I untie the bows each night. And remember all the fun things about having this in my home at the holidays.
Talk to you soon.

No comments: