fabricologist

fabricologist

Sunday, August 26, 2018

Pan Dulce

When I was little, and my grandmother lived with us, she would sometimes make pan dulce. It was a recipe I believe she got from her mother. My great grandmother was Mexican. My grandmother and my Great aunts would all make their version of this recipe. For my siblings and I, this was one of the many expressions of our grandmother's love for us.
 My grandmother always made this by hand, never using an electric mixer, so I do it that way too.
 I make this whenever I feel like I want some, but also, whenever someone in my family needs it.
And by that, I mean that they need a little bit of Granny's family love medicine.


Making bread of any kind is therapeutic for the maker. The kneading of the dough and in this case, the sweet, yeasty and cinnamon smell.
 Recently my youngest sister had a need and she was coming to visit us, so I made Granny's recipe. Since she was here with us, I was able to give her hugs in person as well, but the crowning touch was this beautiful bread, baked with love.
And my whole family enjoyed it as well. Do you have a family recipe that is the ultimate comfort and love food for you? Do you ever just make it to relive the memories?
Have a lovely Sunday. Talk to you soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds so wonderful! You need to come visit and bring that recipe.
Linda

Createology said...

Memories of your Granny and her love baked into this delicious sounding bread...Priceless! My Grandma made the best gravy and biscuits. I never mastered her gravy but fortunately my daughter did and she makes it for me when I see her. Yummy...<3