fabricologist

fabricologist

Thursday, May 4, 2017

My First Sewing in California

I am happy to report that I have, at last put needle to fabric here in California. My husband reminded me yesterday that it has only been 2 weeks since all our stuff arrived and it has taken that long to unpack and organize well enough to begin to feel normal. Normal means sewing.

So, the machine is set up, the fabric unpacked and most of the sewing tools have been located. Still looking for one or two things. I made a couple of trips to IKEA to get some new storage things for the fabrics and my books and tools.

I have decided that the best way to make a design wall, which I still need to do because I use one a lot, is to follow the directions of Erin at Sew at Home Mummy. She made a design wall on a roller shade fixture and it is the perfect solution for me. I share the space with my sister. Her part is her home office and my part is the sewing room, even though we are calling it the sewing room.

This room actually will have 3 uses as it will also be where we put guests to sleep when they come to visit. For now we will use an aerobed in the space, but later we are thinking of a pull out sofa maybe. So the design wall needs to be easily hidden.

Now, I will show pictures of the space next time, but here is the wee bit of sewing I did:
I had a piece of batik fabric for years that I loved but couldn't figure out how to use. So I made us 4 napkins. I love the print and the deep color. My sister did the napkin folds for this picture. See, we work so well together!

Since I can't blog with just one picture, here are a couple more that have nothing to do with sewing:

 This girl, with her back to us, is Trouble. Her name is perfect for her personality. She is pure trouble.
                Strawberries from the local farmer's market. Yum!
And my sister's neighbor gave us a big bag with a dozen or so juicing oranges off her tree in her yard!

Soo we squeezed them and got a half gallon of orange juice! It tastes just like eating an orange! Well, that's all I have for today. See you soon.

1 comment:

temples of grey (betsy) said...

Glad you've got your shared-space sewing room set up. Those napkins? Beautiful!, and the origami as well. -You know why those napkins are perfect? They don't show small grease stains. Being a batik fabric though, there wouldn't normally be that polyester-locking grease action that has ruined many a top of mine. (Hard to know when a tiny oil stain isn't completely out before it goes into the dryer.)