fabricologist

fabricologist

Friday, July 21, 2017

Picnic Blanket Done!

When Rachel of Stitched In Color announce a quick sew along for a picnic blanket, I jumped at the chance to use up some scraps. Now this was a rainbow blanket, and I did do a rainbow, but I took a few liberties with the concept. Mainly I did this to help me use us some fabric that was hanging about with not other use. A picnic blanket is a little more casual that a carefully planned quilt. So I felt good about these fabrics.

 I did sort of follow the layout, going from warm colors to cool. I loved adding a couple of low volume prints to the blanket. I thought that was a great idea. (not my idea, Rachel's)
 Such fun fabrics. My sister and a friend looked on as I photographed it and kept pointing out some of the things they saw on it, like the unicorns and the sheep. Such fun.
The back is a Charley Harper canvas print of feathers on an olive green background. So perfect and I got it on sale for a very good price. There is no batting in this picnic blanket.
                                       Up close of the feathers.

And you just roll it up and tie it with the attached strap and toss it in the car. I used the selvedges to make the strap. I love how it turned out. Thanks to Rachel for the project and you have a lovely weekend. Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts.

3 comments:

April said...

The "liberties" you took turned out lovely! And I was admiring your "heading" picture at the top of your blog. I was looking over each quilt, when suddenly a little black and white head appeared! (your cat) I didn't even see him/her at first. :) so sweet.

Rachel Hauser said...

Gorgeous! I love the backing fabric too - practical and outdoorsy.

Rachel Hauser said...

Gorgeous! I love the backing fabric too - practical and outdoorsy.