fabricologist

fabricologist

Friday, April 20, 2018

Big Bed Quilt Done!

I finished binding my big bed quilt this week and even got the label on it. I was so happy to have it done, I didn't even wash it before putting on the bed. I am happy it's done, but also, I love it. I have to give great thanks to Rachel at Stitched in Color for the push to finish this quilt.

Last summer I won some fat quarts of Improv by Amy Friend. When I received them, they were even prettier than their pictures. So I ordered some more that I didn't have and I added to it from my stash to make this big bed quilt. I pieced it in October and then folded it up and let it sit.


 I love all the colors and the way they look together. The pattern is Cobblestones, I think a free pattern from Fat Quarter Shop. I didn't know what to do next.
 And then Rachel spurred me to action with the Big Bed QAL in February. I had the top, but I needed the back and wasn't sure how to do that. One of her sponsors, Pineapple Quilts, sells some of the most beautiful wide backing fabrics. Once I knew that, I had a plan.
 I was thinking of quilting it in continuous eights, and Rachel confirmed that for me with her suggestion and a few tips on the width I could use for them. I quilted this over about a week and a half, using 2-3 rows as my limit for a session. It was big and heavy, and I didn't want to get worn out or discouraged. That worked rather well.
 I used leftover backing fabric to make the binding and I love the border it provides. The top thread was a Superior Threads variegated thread which I loved on the spool, but wasn't sure about on the quilt top until I saw a big chunk of it and then I knew it was right. It adds so much interest to the quilt.
I hope the next time I need a new big bed quilt I can afford to have it long arm quilted. I know just the person to quilt it for me. Happy weekend everyone. Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts.

7 comments:

Alison V. said...

This is so beautiful! I love the big piecing and the quilting is just perfect for it!

Karen S said...

Congratulations on a great finish. It looks wonderful and your quilting has finished it so well.

Gill - That British Woman said...

I love the figure 8 quilting, very unique. Love that green material.

Charlotte M. said...

Thank you. I am pretty pleased with it.

Charlotte M. said...

Thank you Karen. I really was happy with the quilting.

Charlotte M. said...

Thank you Gill. It is a 108 inch wide back, so no piecing. I chose it for the spring like color.

Debbie said...

Beautifully done! I like how you quilted it too. Congrats!