fabricologist

fabricologist

Monday, February 12, 2018

A Three Year Finish

I know we all have them. Those quilts we start, we love and then they get lost along the way. Back in the winter of 2015, while I was at home going through chemotherapy, Rachel, from Stitched In Color had a Clambake quilt along. I had always wanted to make one, but it seemed too difficult to me. Rachel's method was a quilt as you go method. That I could do, I thought. This was before the fatigue got really bad, so I started the process.

I cut out all the clam shells I would need. It was to be a neutral row and then a colorful row. I went completely scrappy. I did get all the clam shells traced and cut. I think it took about a week. Then I chose my backing and started sewing. I think I got 3 rows done out of 34 rows needed. I tried to keep going, but I just didn't want to do it. I didn't want to do anything.

Fast forward to 2018. I decided to make this the year that quilt got finished. I pressed the edges with starch and then pinned each row and sewed them on. It took 3-4 weeks but now I am proud to say it's done.

 I was able to use so many fun and favorite pieces of fabric. I used some 5 inch charm squares.
 Here is the whole thing. It is a nice lap size quilt. I made the binding from the leftover pieces of the backing that I trimmed off when it was done.

 And this is the back. I don't remember the name of this fabric, but I love the shade of blue.
Not the most perfect stitching lines, but who cares, it's just for me. This makes me feel so happy to see it done. It reminds me that I came through to the other side.

Now my next project to quilt is a queen size bed quilt. I am trying to decide how I want to quilt it, so I hung it on the design wall to look at for awhile. I bought an extra wide backing fabric from Pineapple quilts. They have the biggest selection of wide backing fabrics I have seen yet. It arrived today, so now I can pin baste it as soon as I decide how to quilt it.
This is the top, on my bed. It is the free Cobblestone pattern I got from Fat Quarter Shop. So, linear quilting or curves? I think not too dense, to keep it soft and because I want to get it done this year. I am willing to entertain any ideas you have.
Talk to you soon.

6 comments:

Karen S said...

Wow, that is a wonderful finish. I am so pleased you came back to it. I like the idea of the alternating rows. That works really well.
And you are right - it is a positive reminder of a good outcome.
The next quilt is looking good, too. You rally are working on finishes.

Wendy said...

oh wow! That is a gorgeous quilt. how fantastic you got it finished. you made a good design choice with the neutral/colourful rows. I love the backing too.

Barbara said...

I love your clamshell quilt and so happy that you finished it. It may remind you of harder times, but its proof that you are a survivor.

Nancy said...

Your clamshell quilt is wonderful. I love scrap quilts in which every piece of fabric is different -- and that appears to be so with this quilt. I've made one or two and call them compendium quilts -- a compendium of as many fabrics from my collection as possible. I think the white rows add interest and unity to the colored fabrics.

Tu-Na Quilts said...

The clamshell quilt is gorgeous!!! I really like seeing it with the row of neutrals separating the colors. I think I want to make one of these.

Anonymous said...

Very inspiring! You did a beautiful job on your clamshell quilt.