fabricologist

fabricologist

Monday, September 17, 2018

Bloggers Quilt Festival-Fall 2018 Edition

Hi there friends. I haven't participated in the festival in the past year or two. But I felt like I could do it this year. I decided to go back into time and select a quilt that I especially loved, that was part of a blog about some Christmas gifts from about 6 years ago.
I made this narrow bookshelf quilt for my son-in-law. At the time, he was working on his PhD. I am happy to say that since that time, he has completed his thesis and defended it and is now a Dr. of Literature. So maybe you can see why I chose this particular quilt for him.
I used a jelly roll of Basic Grey for the books. To me, each one looked like it could be the spine of a book and the width was perfect for this.
I used selvedges for the titles on the books. I remember going through all my fabrics, looking for names that looked like they could be book titles. That was fun, actually.
And then I put this sweet little typewriter on the bottom shelf. I know the scale isn't perfect, but to me, this says doctoral candidate.
This, to me, was the icing on the cake. I found this stitching pattern on line and knew for a wordsmith, it was perfect to be the top of the book shelf. I remember stitching and stitching to get this done so I could assemble the quilt. The lines from Edgar Allen Poe still get to me. I remember reading him in high school.

The background of the shelves was quilted to look like bead board. I was so happy with this finished product and My daughter hung it up for her sweet husband. They have moved several times since then so I am not sure where it resides right now, but I am going there soon to visit, so I think I will ask.
Have a lovely week and I will talk to you soon.
Linking up with Amy's Creative Side for the Fall Blogger's Quilt Festival. Go take a look at all the other beauties and visit the bloggers.https://www.amyscreativeside.com/

12 comments:

Nann said...

Nice to meet you! I'm a librarian and I'm partial to bookshelf quilts. I like the selvedge "titles" on the spines.

Denise :) said...

When I saw the bird on top of the books, my FIRST thought was "Nevermore, quoth the raven." What a perfect piece to gift your son-in-law on his achievement!

dapples said...

love the bird! and the books.

Sharon said...

What a fun quilt!

Nancy in NV-wheres the dude at blogspot said...

Cute quilt. Another one on my bucket list. I have so many. I like the size of this one.

Quilting Babcia said...

Very nice, and perfect for your recipient!

Nana said...

A creative quilt that I am sure will be cherished forever. Each part has particular significance indicating how much love was placed in each stitch.

Pamela said...

I love it! Such a special quilt, the details are so awesome!

Carla said...

Love all the thoughtful details.....wonderful gift!

Marie said...

I like bookshelf quilts. I am sure I will do one some day. But what makes me really stop onthis one is the bird! I looks wonderful!

PaintedThread said...

Great quilt. The raven is awesome!

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

I agree with Sally: Your raven is fabulous!