fabricologist

fabricologist

Monday, March 2, 2020

Let's Talk Sewing Machines

I want to talk about sewing machines today. I have two machines: my grandmothers Singer featherweight and my Bernina 440 QE that I bought in 2010 or 2011. That machine was my first big purchase for my sewing and quilting. I did not buy the embroidery module, since I knew I would never use it. This machine has made so many quilts and clothing and pouches and bags.
I sewed in my kitchen and finally in my sewing room after my daughter got married and moved out. I bought this machine, my first new one in over 20 years, because it came with a walking foot, lots of decorative stitches and the BSR-Bernina Stitch Regulator. That helps with regulating stitch length for free motion quilting.

But now, this machine is 10 years old and it has a few hiccups. I do take it every year for a check up. I clean and oil it regularly. But that costs me $100 every year. I have now spent almost as much keeping it going as I did to purchase it. And still, it doesn't seem to run as smoothly as it once did.

So I have begun looking at other machines. I have looked at pricing and reviews. There are lots of brands out there. It scares me a bit to contemplate such another big investment. I am wondering if a less computerized machine would be better. This will likely be the last machine I ever buy, so I want to do this right.

I am not married to any one brand. My Bernina has been good to me, but I do not feel compelled to spend quite that much again. Their machines are pricey. So, what am I looking for?

1. Not more than $1000. Preferably less than that.
2. Good harp space for quilting.
3. Reliable and long life of machine.
4. Don't need a lot of fancy stitches, but zigzag would be nice.

So, tell me, what machine do you use? And would you recommend it? Would you buy it again?
It may be awhile before I buy a new machine, but I want to start gathering info. Thanks for all your help, in advance.
Have a great week.

1 comment:

barbara woods said...

I have had my Brother 1500 for about six years , never any problems