fabricologist

fabricologist

Tuesday, November 23, 2021

I've Been Thinking

 With not much else to do but pack, wait to pack and a couple of hand projects, time  has been harder to fill. So, I have been thinking. Sometimes that can be a dangerous thing. I am thinking of my future, and what it will look like. I am thinking of how thankful I will be when the move is done. 

I have also been thinking about Christmas, because, let's face it, it's coming soon. We had talked about trying to keep it simple and less expensive and such. I feel like we say this every year, and then we just revert to the same old ways. I don't really know how to make the change and get everyone on board with me. So on Sunday, I saw this and picked it up and read the whole thing.


 

My youngest sister gave it to me for Christmas one year. I have never actually read it, although I have seen countless iterations of it on TV. I have to say, I am so glad I read it. Maybe it was just that it hit at the right time for me to absorb it. I mean, I have always understood the message of the story and all, but something else struck me while reading this.

The joy people felt at getting together and singing and eating and playing simple games really struck me. And it got me to thinking that that is what I wish Christmas could be. Not just for me, but for everyone. That we could be together and celebrate that. The food and the singing and such is just icing on the cake. 

I wish for a kinder and gentler world, with more love and understanding for each other. I think the older I get, the more these concepts mean to me. The world has become very harsh and hateful in the last 5-6 years and there seems no end in sight. It makes me weary.

So, for this year, my first in 3 years with the grandchildren, I am going to choose to focus on the togetherness, the food and enjoying the company more than anything else...those boxes will still be waiting to be unpacked eventually. 

I wish you peace, comfort and happiness for Thanksgiving and Christmas, in case I am unable to post again before then.


1 comment:

Karen S said...

I hope it does turn out to be a special Christmas for you. I also hope Thanksgiving went well.
Good luck for the move!!