fabricologist

fabricologist

Monday, February 20, 2023

Quilt Memories

 Quilts are memories. They are sometimes made from fabric that brings memories, but sometimes it's the quilts themselves that make the memories. That is the case here. This post is to document the quilt memories surrounding my grandson, who passed away suddenly 5 weeks ago at age 15. I had so many more quilts in me to make for him and it makes me sad that they will go unrealized. So I am going to post pictures of the quilts I made for him during his short life.



This was the very first quilt I made for him. The top image is a bag that the folded quilt can fit into to be taken along with the baby. I thought that was such a clever idea. I don't remember where the pattern for this quilt came from. The fabrics were from my LQS.

This is the best picture I could find of this quilt. I remember when I found this farm fabric at the LQS and I was so excited to make matching quilts for J and his cousin V. They were only about 2 and 3 years old at the time. I called the quilts Neigh and Moo. These quilts were so much bigger than they were at that time and they made such an impression. They got lots of use too.

These are not a quilt, but one year for Christmas I made bath mitts for the boys. The minions were fairly new on the scene and someone put out a pattern for this. I am still trying to use up the rest of that terry cloth to this day.


One year for Christmas I made J and V these tic tac toe bean bag toss quilts, hoping to give them a useful quilt. I can't remember which one was J's.



This was a quilt I made from some fun airplane fabric. I was learning how to make little boy quilts. I found it challenging to find fabric colors and patterns that weren't too girly, but were also fun. I loved this one.




This was the last quilt I made for J. He couldn't have been more than 8 or 9 years old at the time, but for some reason he fell in love with the periodic table of elements. When this fabric line came out, I had to have it for him. I worked so hard to make a big enough quilt for his bed with this and I was so proud of how it turned out. I think he loved it. Partly because it was cool and partly because his Grammie made it for him. It still rests on his bed.

I cherish these quilts and the memories they bring. It is painful now, but some day it will just bring me a warm feeling and a smile to think of them and how much they meant to J and how much he means to me. So, sew up those memories, that they may comfort you whenever you need them to.

I love you sweet boy.




2 comments:

Miss Alissa said...

So very sorry for your loss! What a neat way to remember him by his quilts. We lost our little boy at birth 5 months ago. It is so hard to lose young ones. Prayers for your family as you mourn.

Karen S said...

I am so sorry to read about the news of the loss of your grandson.My heart goes out to you and all his family. Take care and look after yourself.