fabricologist

fabricologist

Monday, June 13, 2011

Whew! Thought I might not get here

I had to work today, which I usually don't on Mondays.  Then, when I got home I was having some trouble with my internet, but now...here I am.

Had a busy weekend, or actually only Sunday off.  When I got home from work on Saturday, the mailman brought me a nice little thing I had been waiting for.....


I bought a fat quarter pack from Hawthorne Threads.  I was so excited to get it.  I do love it, but I must say that the colors look a bit different than they did on my computer screen.  Still, I have the perfect idea for a quilt for these babies and also my Castle Peeps that I have been saving until inspiration hit me.I love that some of the on line shops will notify you when new fabrics are available.

But first, I started a project that I have been wanting to get to for a couple of weeks.  After the success of the bucket hat adventure, I am working on the explorer vest from Oliver + S Little Things to Sew.  I had forgotten how long it takes just to cut out a pattern.  And I am making two of these for the grandsons.

first I had to trace the pattern pieces

then I cut out the pieces
Once I started with the sewing I felt better.  This is the first time in all my years of sewing that I have done bellows style pockets.  I have to say I was nervous, but Liesl's directions and illustrations are so clear and easy to understand, that it wasn't hard at all.  Just go slow and careful and they turned out great!


See, my first bellows pocket.
There should be room for lots of rocks, and sticks and bugs etc. in these pockets.  I can't wait to see the boys in them.

One almost done.
It just needs the armhole binding and buttons.  The cute bug fabric is from Connecting Threads. Then make one more.  I can't say it enough, this book is fabulous if you have children or grandchildren.  So many cute things to make.

Happy sewing everyone.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Hey Charlotte-

Saw your comments on our post on the Fat Quarter Shop. The sit upon pattern is available and in fact we just kitted them up last night if you are interested. We also linked to our ITOP post on it if you want more info on the ITOP. Have fun!

Joanna
Fig Tree