fabricologist

fabricologist

Monday, June 27, 2011

Procrastination

Procrastinate-verb-to put off or defer (an action) until a later time.  Now we all know this word, and we all procrastinate at one time or another, even the best of us.  Here's another saying for you: a stitch in time saves nine.  What do these two things have in common?  Well, when there is sewing to be done, as in quilting and other creative types of sewing, we are eager to get at it.  When there is mending to be done, it goes into a pile for "later".  I had one of my husband's shirts that needed a button, and a sweater of mine that lost 2 buttons in the wash and needed reattaching.  They have been in my sewing room fer several weeks now, and while that is by no means a record, yesterday it was time to get to them.

As I was stitching the first button on the shirt, I thought 'this is taking like 5 minutes.  What was I waiting for?'  When I got to the sweater, I did the two errant buttons, but noticed 2 more loose ones, which got me to thinking about the 'stitch in time' so I gave them a reinforcing stitch as well.  All told, 15 minutes.

Where am I going with this?  Well, remember these?

Castle Peeps

1001 Peeps
Well I pulled some fabrics to piece the backs for them, and then just kept avoiding them.  Until yesterday.  After my session with the buttons, I pushed myself to get started.  At first I didn't really like the fabrics I had chosen, but I was determined to not buy any more fabric for these guys.  I started playing and stitching and I found myself getting into it.  I switched out a couple of fabrics and it was working!  This is what I came up with:

And I fussy cut some of the Peeps from each collection to applique onto the back.


I was on a roll!  So the next project is to rev up and get onto those napkins.  Yes, napkins.  My daughter is getting married in October and after seeing a couple of napkin tutorials at the Purl, she decided we should make cloth napkins.  Instead of making 100 all the same, she decided we should make sets of 4, 6 and 8 in various fabrics.  This way, after the wedding she would have plenty of reusable napkins for her home.  This was a year ago.  Plenty of time.....right?  We did a few.  Then 4 months ago we got real organized and cut them all out, bagged them according to groups, ready to hem.

Some are done.


Now I have less time in front of me so I need to get busy.  This is my big contribution to this wedding.  Here is what I have so far:
And there is one special set that will be double sided with embroidery:

So I will try not to procrastinate any further.  I need to get these done.  And those two Peeps quilts.  And my Sunkissed Squares quilt.  And I have more ideas than time  right now.  I guess I should make a list for myself.

Happy Sewing.

No comments: