fabricologist

fabricologist

Monday, September 5, 2011

She's Back!

I really missed Nina, my Bernina.  She went in for a check up last week.  I thought I was to a point in all my projects that I had enough hand work to keep me busy.  But instead, the minute she was gone, everything I wanted to do involved Nina.  She was only gone 5 days, but every day brought another idea that needed trying.  Torture I tell you.  But now she's home!

And the sewing has begun again!  Such chaos, such clutter; I am one happy quilter.  But the first thing I need to do is make some pants, a vest and bow tie for V for his mom's wedding in a few weeks.  I got the pattern idea/advice from Dana.  She drafts patterns all the time for her son and they are adorable.  I can do this!

Well, it took several tries with "junk" fabric, but now I think I've got it!

It's a very nice linen and the vest will be the same.  I have drafted the pattern for the vest, but haven't started it yet.  I am having trouble getting my Nina to sew over the elastic in the casing at the back of the pants.  If anyone has advice on how to make this work, I would be grateful.  The needle hits the elastic and won't go through.  It is one inch non-twisting elastic.

So I thought, since I have been so good about working on this must do project, I am going to reward myself with a want to do project.  I am starting my Hometown quilt.  I bought a layer cake of Hometown a while back and was waiting for inspiration.  I found it on Moda Lissa's blog.
This is an easy pattern that will really showcase the fabrics.  Since I really couldn't indulge myself with more of this line, I wanted to make the most of it and this pattern does it for me.  First seen in Moda Bake Shop, it's simple, but fun.

The rest of my weekend was spent helping my husband get some things done in the back yard for the upcoming wedding.  We will have family here with us, and want to spend all our spare time just hanging out and talking and cooking and eating.  So we needed more outdoor space to do this.  He found plans on line and we built a picnic table and are working on a fire pit.

it's nice and sturdy.

needs a few more bricks

We are going to have so much fun!! I can't wait.  Now, back to Nina.  I've got lots to do.
Have a great week.

No comments: