Monday, September 12, 2011


I think I started this in March, when the days were still short and barely warm yet.  My daughter still lived with us and every sunny day was a blessing.  I fell in love with the Sunkissed line and found the Moda Bake Shop and the rest, as they say is history.

I bought a jelly roll and some yardage and had actually picked out another Moda Bake Shop quilt to make with my Sunkissed loveliness,  then I saw this one and knew it was the one for me.

When I downloaded the recipe, I found that I didn't have exactly enough of the different fabrics needed to make the quilt exactly as it was.  I really wanted to do it that way.  So I set out to see if I could make it work without buying any more fabric.  What I came up with was this: I had enough to make each of the large, whole squares in the colors called for.  What I did for the four interlocking squares in each quarter of the quilt was to make most of the square from one fabric, but where it visually "passed behind or through" the main square, I made the pattern change, but not the color.

From a distance, in some squares you cannot even tell.  Others are more obvious.  But it worked, and I L-O-V-E it.  The other thing I learned as I began getting into blogging was about pearl cotton.  I decided to use that to outline each square in its matching color of pearl cotton.  I finally got that done, but the quilt wanted more quilting to feel right to me.  So I meandered all over the large open areas and the border.  A cute little thing happened when I spur of the moment decided to do a little sunshine in the crossroads between the squares.

The back is pieced to include a bit of the fabrics from the front.  And now, it needs a label, but I have washed and dried it and it is so pretty I can't begin to convey how much I love how this turned out.  Or maybe you can tell.

Have a great week.

No comments: