fabricologist

fabricologist

Monday, June 19, 2017

A Little Garment Sewing

I got my start sewing clothes for myself and my two younger sisters. I loved sewing even back then. I consider myself a quilter, but also a seamstress. An old fashioned word maybe, but my grandmother taught me to sew and she was a seamstress. So here is what I am up to now, and yes there is still quilting going on as well.
 This is a Geranium dress for Miss N. I love this pattern by Rae of Made By Rae. It comes in a bunch of sizes so you can continue to use it as they grow. Also now there is an expansion pack that includes sleeve for winter and fall wear. I think I will have to get that too.
 I love the details on Rae's patterns. Take these sweet pockets. Girls need pockets as much as boys do. There is also a version that puts the pockets in the side seams for older girls. N is still a toddler, so maybe later on that.
 This is the back. It needs buttons and button holes, but there will be a whole day for that very soon.
 Here is a shirt for my little man B. I saw this Art Gallery fabric on sale somewhere and the color is his favorite so I just had to do it. The pattern is by Liesl of Oliver +S. She is another pattern maker that does a great job with instructions and details. I have used her patterns before.
 I love this pocket. I think it makes the shirt look like a man's shirt and B will love that.
 Another great detail on the back of the shirt is the box pleat at the yoke. This is so cool.
 And Liesl offers multiple sizes in her patterns too, so this one goes from size 5 to size 12. So of course I had to make a cool one for my young man V. I hope he thinks it's cool. The fabric is Kaffe Fassett.
 Look at the detail she gives you for reinforcing the pocket. Such nice touches are always in her patterns. I put the pocket stripes going in the opposite direction for fun.
 The back has the same great style. I still have a bit of top stitching to do on this one, and buttons of course. One big button day coming up.
So now I have some clothing done for my little gang. I still need to make something for J, but I need to consult with his mom to see what would be good. Maybe some shorts, or another one of these shirts. Sky is the limit here. Retirement makes for more sewing time for sure. Talk to you soon.

2 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

They're all so darling! I'm like you -- I love sewing -- especially for our littles. I love the fabrics you've chosen and that box pleat is adorable on the little shirt!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Love both. Great fabric choices as well.