fabricologist

fabricologist

Sunday, June 4, 2017

June Begins

So now, it is June. I know that summer is not officially here until the 21st, but to me, it is summer. The kids are all getting done with school, and I am looking forward to summer visits from the Kids and grand kids.  At the end of summer, I will be going back to NC for my first visit since the move. For now, I am going to try and sew as much as possible. To that end, here are a few things I have been doing:
 I took some scraps from my pillow cover to make this pin cushion. I love the Charleston line so much I can't bear to part with even a scrap of it.
 I made it just like a small quilt, pieced, quilted and bound and then stuffed it with crushed walnut shells. I only quilted the front to some batting so I could stuff it.
         A larger scrap of pineapple fabric was perfect for the back of the pin cushion.
And here it is in my hand so you can get an idea of the scale of the pin cushion. A bit larger than I usually make, but it will get used, because I love it!
 Next, a project born out of necessity. Years ago I began making these cell phone wristlets from a pattern by Carolyn of Trillium. I wanted to get away from carrying a big purse full of junk. The small wristlet holds my cell, my id and credit cards and a few dollars. That's all. Sometimes I need a place to put my chapstick or I wish I had room for a pen. I still wanted small, though. I also wanted to be able to be hands free, like at the ball park, but I didn't want to set it down. So I enlarged the pattern by two inches. Perfect! I also put a long strap like a messenger bag for cross body wearing. I won't use it every day, but when I need this, I am now ready.
 And the inside will hold just what I need, but not be overly full. I will let you know how this works out as we are going to the ball game next weekend. I think it will be perfect.
 The third thing I worked on this week is a criss cross back jumper for miss N. I have long loved the simplicity of these and the fact you can wear them over a top or without, as a dress or a top. They are very versatile.
 And this one is reversible.  So it's like getting two dresses for the price of one. It is also a very quick sew and there are several free patterns on the internet for such a thing.
All it needs are buttons and buttonholes. I will do buttons on both sides so it is easily reversible. And that is what I have done this week. I have also cut out pieces for a couple more projects so that I can just sit and sew as time permits. I am still doing some painting here at the garden house and I took last week off from that. This week I hope to get most of the rest of the living room finished. Talk to you soon.

No comments: