fabricologist

fabricologist

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Baby Quilts

I finished up the first two of what I'm sure will be many quilts for baby B.  I have discovered I love making baby quilts because they are so fast and easy to quilt and bind on the machine.  It's almost instant gratification.

 The fist is the Jack and Jenny quilt.  I fell in love with these little donkeys in Wellies from Laurie Wisbrun, available here.  I love her stuff and this one, I thought was great for a boy in this colorway.  It also comes in other colorways as well, like pink.  I have been wanting to try a zigzag pattern and Crazy Mom Quilts did an easy tutorial that doesn't use HSTs.  L-O-V-E it!!  I quilted in the ditch on the blue/grey side, using Bottom Line thread in the bobbin.
 This is the other side of the quilt.  The little Wellies and the Raindrop print in green and a yellow print from Connecting threads that I just love for its brightness.  Bound the edges in the green which works well on both sides, since the donkeys are wearing green and yellow Wellies.
 You can see the zigzag quilting from side A doesn't hinder the design on side B.  Side B was just a serendipitous happening with stripes that didn't work out for Side A.  I love it when that happens.
 Here is a closer look at the Jacks and Jennys marching up hill and down.  So cute!!
 The second quilt is one I saw on Diary of a Quilter blog.  It was made for market, from Children at Play fabrics.  I had trouble downloading the free pattern for the paper airplane, so I drew my own.  I love how this turned out.  This picture doesn't show the embroidered line that indicates the flight path of the airplane.  I added it after this was taken.  But I love this fabric line so much.
The back is some leftover fabric from curtains I did for V's room when they moved out last year.  It is an alphabet print by Sandy Gervais for Moda, called Lollipop, an older line I think.  The pictures were taken on my picnic table, my new favorite spot.  Now I just need to figure out how to keep my shadow out of the shot. Ha!  See you soon.

2 comments:

Laurie Wisbrun | Scarlet Fig said...

It is so darling!!! I'm not sure which side I love more :)

Studio V said...

Beautiful!