fabricologist

fabricologist

Friday, October 17, 2014

Friday Finish-A quilt for V

Today's finish is a quilt for my great niece, V. She is now in second grade and growing up so fast. When she was born, I sent her a baby quilt with sheep on it. A very sweet, small quilt, to be sure. V is currently living with my sister in her home, along with her mother and her grand parents. There are several quilts in that house, mostly made by me, but also a few antique ones my sisters rescued. When my sis came home from work one afternoon, she noticed the lap quilt from the couch was missing. She found V all wrapped up in it. She apparently "needed" the comfort of the quilt. Another day she was wrapped up in the queen size bed quilt on my sister's bed. So I decided V needed a new quilt of her own.
 This is the quilt top on the wall. It is the only shot of the entire thing because it is so wet outside right now and the indoor lighting isn't great. Lots of rain and clouds here lately.
It is made from a jelly roll of Aneela Hoey's Hello Petal that I won in a giveaway last year. The perfect thing for such a girly little girl. I quilted it in a 4 inch cross hatch pattern. I love the look the four line so close together give it. I put several random flowers in some of the blocks.
 It's not a bed size quilt, but I think it will cover her up nicely and provide lots of snuggles. It is so soft now that it is washed and dried.
 For the back I pieced together some of the flowered fabric from the line, along with the palest pink that has been in my stash for literally, years.
 Another shot of the back so you can see the quilting lines.
 I added a long strip of Kona in a pink shade to make the quilt wider. V is a big girl after all.
 The binding is from my stash. I couldn't match the colors perfectly, so I settled for using some yellow, pink and blue, alternated to give a bit more scrappy look to it.
Here is the pink binding. I quilted her name in the pink near the bottom of the quilt, but I can't get it to show in a photo. But I know she will love it. From her "Aunt Charlotte who makes the quilts". Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Friday.

5 comments:

Jeanie said...

Every girl needs her own snuggle quilt and this one will be treasured....great job!

Scrappy quilter said...

What a fun and girl quilt.

Sparky said...

what a great accomplishment...the colours are really nice too...with winter around the corner...this will be a warm reminder of our fall

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

Aww, that is so sweet that V is found wrapped up in various quilts :) There's a girl that knows how to live! Beautiful quilt, I'm sure she will love it for many years to come!

Gemini Jen NZ said...

What a lovely quilt! She will no doubt treasure it. The fabric range is really sweet, and the random flowers in the quilting are a nice touch! Well done.