fabricologist

fabricologist

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Itty Bitty Hello Kitty

It's not finished yet, I am quilting it now. But I wanted to show you something I have been working on for a few months now. When I made the Hello Kitty quilt for my daughter, my oldest daughter had just had a baby girl after two boys. She loved the Hello Kitty quilt and wanted one for baby N, but not a big one and she asked me if I could do a small one to use as a wall hanging.

Now, I liked the quilt, but I never thought I wanted to make another one, especially a smaller one. But...I began to think about it. After awhile I decided to try it and not tell her until I saw if I could follow it through.
 N's signature color, according to my daughter, is purple. So the same quilt, with a purple border this time. The other difference is that instead of cutting 2.5 inch squares that finish at 2 inches, I cut 1.5 inch squares that finish at 1 inch. Itty bitty squares...1,296 itty bitty squares actually.
 And then I added another border around it to frame it, and also because I have special quilting planned for the border.
The most fun in making this is finding scraps to use for all these squares. Many are left over from the larger quilt, and many are cut from scraps, charm squares and the last bits and bobs of very old fabrics, particularly the purple ones. This quilt will finish at about 40 inches square. I will be back with more photos when it is done. Have a lovely weekend and talk to you soon. Linking up to Amanda Jean at Crazy Mom Quilts.

3 comments:

Melody A. said...

It is fantastic, what an accomplishment!! just lovely and I am sure it will be very treasured!

Createology said...

Your quilting skills are amazing! This Hello Kitty wall hanging and quilt are precious. Embracing Creative Bliss...

Dawn said...

Cute! And I'll bet a great feeling of accomplishment!