fabricologist

fabricologist

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

My Penny Sampler is Done!!

I have finished the 12 month long version of the Penny Sample Quilt Class with Rachel of Stitched in Color. This was the best class ever! The 12 month pace was the perfect pace for me, even with a move in the first quarter of the year. I was able to stay caught up and I learned so much from this class, which was my hope and goal for taking it. Lots of pictures now.
 This is the whole quilt top. As you can see, many different components make up the top. Along with that, lots of techniques. There is applique, piecing and machine paper piecing.
 The color pallet I chose was not as subdued as some I have seen on line, but this is more to my style. I am extremely happy with the way it turned out.
 I have some favorite components, but I love them all. The vase of flowers in the gold background above is one of my favorites. Also, the diamonds on the bottom. Both were machine paper pieced. A technique I have been wanting to learn. Not my cup of tea, but at least now I can do it and I might again some time.
 The paper piecing does give such crisp edges and points that meet where they are supposed to meet.
 I still need to do the eyes on the Dala horses. I decided I would do those by hand instead of machine. They are way too small and fiddly for me.
 The hanging diamonds are another fave as is the red ribbon block above. This quilt has so much to look at, doesn't it?


 The strip of fabric down the right side here is from one of Jeni Baker's collections. It is all one piece and I am so happy with how it works in this spot. The colors work and the stripes look like they were made for this quilt.
So next up, is the quilting of this big thing. I am planning to hand quilt it with Pearl cotton. I have decided that there are just too many different things going on here to do it any other way.
 Each section will lead me as to what it needs. I do not intend to over do it, but enough quilting to accentuate certain elements and stabilize the quilt. I put too much into it not to do it right.
So, a year in the making and now, on to quilting. Will it take another year? I don't know. I have the fabrics for the backing and I hope to have it pin basted and started before the end of the year. I will keep you up to date. I plan to link this up on Friday with Crazy Mom Quilts.

3 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on your finish.

Pieced Brain Quilt Designs said...

It is beautiful, and big! Can't wait to see it quilted. Have a wonderful Christmas!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

That's the cutest quilt I've ever seen. Congrats.