fabricologist

fabricologist

Friday, June 8, 2018

A One Man Race

Have you ever done a jelly roll race quilt? Me either. Until now. I never really wanted to, even though I have seen plenty of them.

About 3-4 years ago, I bought two Riley Blake jelly rolls. One was yellow and one was pink. Each had 24 strips, two of each fabric. There were ginghams, polka dots and chevrons in different sizes. Some with white, and some tone on tone, but I really loved them all. I never knew what to do until one day it struck me that I could do a jelly roll race with them. But then I didn't for like a year or more.
Today was the day. I felt like something new and easy. So I unwrapped them both and unrolled them.
I just laid the two stacks of strips next to the machine and began attaching first a pink and then a yellow, in the order they came in.

This is how the first pass of strips looked as it fell off the back of my sewing table. That part was fun.
I could not have ever won this race had I been in it with any competition. This took me way longer than I thought it would. But now it's done and I just have to come up with a back and get it quilted.
I love how it turned out. I'm calling it pink lemonade, which seems appropriate for early summer. Have a great weekend and I'll talk to you soon.

1 comment:

Createology said...

I like the random layout of the two color of strips. Fun and Summery Pink Lemonade...<3