fabricologist

fabricologist

Friday, August 6, 2021

And Now It's August

 I know you are not surprised that the summer is speeding by. We see this every year and for some reason it always seems to surprise us. Summer has been pretty gentle so far, here in southern California. We do not really see the impact of heat until later into August and September. Some years October is hot too. The first year we lived here it was so hot on Thanksgiving, we fixed our plates and went and sat outside to eat since the cooking had really made the house uncomfortable.

I tweaked my back a few weeks ago, and that really put the brakes on my sewing. Nothing like a sore back to remind you you are getting old. I had to go to the doctor after a few days of home remedies didn't make much headway. I am much improved now, but I was surprised it took this long.

So, what I was able to work on was this:

This is 400 one inch hexies for a grandmother's flower garden quilt I want to make. I was able to sit in a chair with a lumbar pillow for support, and hand stitch hexies. A good skill set to have for times such as these.

I need just over 700 pink hexies. I am using mostly scraps and some stash for this. Next is 120 yellow hexies for the centers, also from scrap bins. Then, I will assemble all the flowers. The hexies in between will also be yellow and scrappy. This is definitely a long term project, but very portable.


This is the look I am going for with the flowers. I want no two petals the same in every flower.


My other long term no stress project is the Scrap Stash Plus quilt from Emily Dennis at Quilty Love. It is a free pattern on her blog and she has posted several versions on her Instagram. Her first one was rainbow. I am thinking of a modified rainbow for mine, but I won't know the layout until I get all the blocks made. I am making the throw size quilt. If you have a scrap stash, this is a good one, and very easy to sew. You can make it as small or as large as you like.

Well, off to start my day. I will chat with you soon.



1 comment:

Karen S said...

Having a bad back is no fun! I know!
I am pleased you are now getting on top of it.
Lovely to see that you have been able to get some stitching in. Love the colour shades in all your hexies.
And the plus blocks are looking good too.
Take care and keep that back right.