fabricologist

fabricologist

Wednesday, August 17, 2022

What's in a Color Name?

 Remember the 64 count box of Crayola Crayons with the sharpener on the back? I loved that box of crayons. I especially loved all the names of the colors. But this is where my question comes in: what is the difference in some of the names? Blue-green, green blue, turquoise, aqua, teal, aquamarine, sea-green, azure, cerulean. See what I mean? What is correct, and what is not?

I have two bins of scraps in my stash. One is labeled blue, the other is labeled teal. I have done my best to sort them in good light, so they are in the correct bins. On Sunday I took out the teal bin to begin a project I want to do. (Like I need another one?)

This is what I have made so far:

                                      More blue than green
                                       More green than blue
The rest of the blocks are similar to the first two, although the second one is definitely the greenest one.
I decided it didn't matter too much to me, what went with what, as long as I liked the end result.

These are all blocks for a new bed-size quilt for our bed. I wanted to really use my stash and as much scraps as I could, so when I went looking for inspiration, I landed on the Missing U quilt from Sunday Morning Quilts by Amanda Jean Nyberg and Cheryl Arkison. It is still one of my favorite books I ever bought. I have used it to inspire myself many times. The quilt in the book is a rainbow of colors, but I am not so sure any more that that is the direction I am headed. Time will tell.

I hope you have a lovely creative day.


1 comment:

Karen S said...

I can see what you mean. What colour is what? Regardless of their names, your blocks look great.