fabricologist

fabricologist

Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Missing U Quilt top

 A number of years ago, when the book Sunday Morning Quilts came out, I was smitten. It was the best quilting book I have ever found for inspiration. I wanted to make every single quilt in the book, and I never feel that way. I started an on line bee, based on the book and for 3 years we helped each other make quilts from the book. Then, I eventually moved on to other quilts.

But I have never forgotten that book and those quilts. Fast forward to now and I pulled it from the shelf again. I wanted to make another scrap quilt. I am really trying to use up my fabric scraps and the fabrics I have on hand. And it is working. I do have lots less than I used to. So, enter the Missing U Quilt by Cheryl Arkison. A rainbow quilt, big enough for my queen sized bed, if I add a few more blocks to the one in the book. But I didn't end up with a rainbow.


I started off with my blue scrap bin. Then, I pulled out my teal scrap bin. It holds every shade of blue that is of a teal or aqua shade. I didn't really know the direction I was going with this, but I thought I would make these blue and teal blocks until I either figured it out, or ran out of fabric in these colors.

But then, it finally dawned on me...after I posted on IG about this, and Cheryl commented that yes, I should use all the colors of the sea. I wanted to make the ocean, with a sunrise.

And so I did. I was so into this quilt top, I made all 36 blocks in less than two weeks. It has been a long time since I have felt that way about a quilt. So much freedom to create from my scraps that I couldn't stop. The quilt top is 91 inches square. I have ordered a 108 inch wide backing for this one. My goal is to get it quilted and on the bed before winter. I have decided on a fairly simple quilting pattern. I will be back to show you when it's finished. Man I am loving this!

See you soon.


1 comment:

Karen S said...

You can see that I am still catching up on comments!
Love how scrappy this is. Great way to use the smaller bits, too.
And it looks like you have found a good solution to making the quilt top bigger. Lovely.