fabricologist

fabricologist

Saturday, July 1, 2023

Finishing Up Long term Projects

 I know that we all have UFOs in our closets. I have decided I need to stop making new tops and quilt up what I have here. So that's what I am doing. I decided to start with the smallest and work up to the largest.

I pieced this top last summer. I had been wanting to do some beach umbrellas for some time. I figured out the angles and rummaged through my stash. I had to buy some background fabric.
My daughter had given me a twin size flat sheet to use for a someday quilt back, and what's better with beach umbrellas than mermaids?
This was N's sheet and the bottom fitted sheet was old and very worn. I quilted wavy lines to mimic the ocean waves.
And of course I used one of my newest batch of woven labels. I got these from Dutch Label Shop.
These next few are close ups of some of the umbrellas in the quilt. You can also see the batik fabric I used for the background to mimic the sand.

N was here this week and saw this and she really loved it, so guess where it's going to live? She even remembered the sheet with the mermaids.

The other thing going on here is gardens full of flowers. So much is blooming right now. You can get local farm grown flowers at the farmer's market or I get some from my daughter's garden.

She grows tons of sunflowers. This is just a small representation . She has, I think, at least 6 or 7 different kinds of sunflowers.

And echinacea and zinnias too. Her garden is a profusion of color right now and it's beauty is so awesome.

That's it for now.



1 comment:

Karen S said...

Your beach umbrellas are wonderful. That is a fun idea. And using the sheet on the back is perfect. A lovely finish.
And the flowers are gorgeous.