fabricologist

fabricologist

Monday, May 30, 2011

Project interrupted

Have you ever gotten an idea for a quilt or any other crafty project and gotten real excited to start, only to realize you don't have everything you need to do said project?  A couple of years ago I was thinking about starting a small (as in baby size) quilt business.  As part of my thought process, I designed and stitched 4 different quilt tops.  I only used fabric I had on hand and I jotted down ideas for several more.  That was as far as I got.  I decided I wasn't ready or willing to make my hobby into my business, so I put them all away.

So now I was looking for some small quilt or quilts to donate to the Prouty, which is my brother's cancer fund raiser up in Vermont.  Enter again these small quilt tops.  I decided to finish at least one of them and see if they would work.  Okay...need batting and backing.  It's small, shouldn't take much, right?  Hmmm..got lots of 1 yard pieces, but that was too short.  So...sew!
Now it's big enough!  Now the batting.  I never seem to keep batting on hand, as I guess it's a buy as needed thing.  I'd like to know if others keep bats around for just in case they need one today?
So again...sew strips together.



Well, this seems to be working out so far.  Now to start the quilting process.  Round and round and round we go.
So I guess this can be counted as one of my more successful afternoons.  So many times I can't make things work out so well and I just give up and start something else, or go read or watch TV.  While I'm on a roll, I think I'll start putting those potholders together!
Happy sewing!

No comments: