fabricologist

fabricologist

Friday, August 10, 2012

A Quilt for Birdie

I wanted to share this finish with you.  I belong to the Comfort Quilts Bee.  We make blocks for each other to make quilts that provide comfort to those with medical or other issues.  Basically, anyone we feel is in need of comfort that a quilt can provide.  June was my month and I made a quilt for a friend who has need of comfort.  This is her quilt:

 This is the second time I have chosen this pattern.  You can see the other one here. I love the hugs that the X represents.  My grandmother always included it in cards and letters to family and friends.

 The ladies in the bee did an awesome job with their fabric choices.  It is scrappy, but still cohesive.
 I wish you could see it in person.  When I took it out of the dryer, I was just wowed with how soft and cuddly it felt.  I just hugged it.
 This isn't a great picture, but you can see some of the quilting.  I did lines in the directions of the seems in each white area and left the Xs without any quilting.  The triangles around the edges are line quilted closer together.
 I bound the quilt with a yellow print from my stash.  It looks good with the yellow centers.
The backing is a hunk of fabric from my stash from Me and My Sister Designs that I bought for just such an occasion.  I love the way it turned out.  It's a surprise.  I hope she likes it. 
Have a great day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Charlotte it turned out beautiful. I'm sure she will love it.

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

I love the yellow and blue together so cheerful!!

Denise in PA said...

The blue and yellow is so pretty. What a great block for a comfort quilt. I hope it brings some joy to your friend - and I will say a little prayer for her. Hugs!

Susan said...

Beauty & comfort all wrapped up in a quilt :-) love it!