fabricologist

fabricologist

Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Socktober

 I decided I really wanted to document something my daughter did for me. First, let me just say she is a prolific knitter, and is very good. She has made socks for me in the past and I love the feel of hand knit socks. Especially now that I have neuropathy in my feet from chemo. The hand knit socks are loose and comfortable for my feet, when other socks are so very constricting.

When the pandemic began and we all went into lock down, she decided to use up a bunch of her yarn stash, and she secretly enrolled me in her Pandemic sock of the month club. I got the first delivery of three pair. (This is a quarterly club.) I was bowled over by this thoughtfulness. Socks are a lot of work.

It was too warm here in southern California for socks, at that time. So when the weather finally cooled, I dubbed it Socktober and wore a new pair each day to be able to send her a picture of her beautiful work in use. Here they are in all their glory...

Each pair came with a card that gave the month and

a little quip about the pandemic and it's impact on normal life.

Each pair is different and I love all the colors and the yarns she used. Some of the yarn is self striping, meaning it makes strips as you knit up. I have no idea how that works, but it's cool.
Some, like these have heel gussets and toes that contrast. These have yarn that she used for an older pair of socks and also a shawl she made for me.


I love the vibrancy of these socks.





Fall colors, and toasty warm.



Love these beauties. Mermaid socks.


Love the tops of these.



These are different, but quite lovely in blues.


And these are very interesting and bright. I love the way they almost look like two different pair of socks.  So, this was my Socktober and I loved every pair. I am still wearing a pair of hand knit socks every day. There are two more pair being made to add to the collection. I will not need to buy socks again for years, and I'm okay with that. It has been great fun to get these surprises in the mail and I love her so much for thinking of this and of me. When this stupid pandemic it over, I will have the biggest bunch of hugs to give her for all this joy.

Talk to you soon.

1 comment:

Quilting Tangent said...

Beautiful socks, look soft and warm.