fabricologist

fabricologist

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Fabric Pull

How do you do a fabric pull? Do you start with a focus fabric, or a specific line of fabrics? I have done things both ways, or just a couple of favorites that look good together and then I try to flesh it out. I am wanting to make another large bed size quilt for my queen size bed...because I am crazy. I haven't chosen a pattern yet, so maybe that's going to mess me up here. The one thing I know is that I want to use a particular line of fabric, Improv by Amy Friend.

I won a fat quarter bundle of some of the fabrics from Benartex a couple of months ago and as soon as it arrived, I got on line and ordered some of the other prints in the collection. I don't have the whole collection, but there were some prints I truly didn't like as well as others.
This is the original collection that I started with. The colors here are pretty true. It's a very sunny day so I tried to stay out of the sun so they wouldn't wash out. Some of these are fat quarters and the ones I bought are half yards.

Now the fun...I tried to pull from my stash some things to go with these beauties. Tell me what you think:
 Here they are all lined up together. I think with these additions there is plenty for a queen size quilt.
 I love this dark plum color with the pale pink daisies right next to the raspberry colored fabrics. The centers of the daisies are almost the color of the raspberry fabric.
 Next, I added in the green-ish with dots, the golden tan squares and the grey gingham with the tiny dots. In this picture the first fabric looks much more green than it is and the squares look a bit washed out. So hard to get true colors sometimes.
 The other fabric I would like to use, but it may be too bold for this, is the text fabric. It is black print on cream. What do you think?
So here is the whole line up. Now I need a pattern to show these off to their best advantage. Please tell me in the comments what you think of the additions to the original line. Also, I would love to have any suggestions you might have for a pattern. Thanks in advance for your help.

2 comments:

Pieced Brain Quilt Designs said...

I am loving the fabrics! I think your quilt will look fantastic.

Unknown said...

Love the fabric! Can't wait to see the finished project