fabricologist

fabricologist

Friday, May 8, 2020

Suck it Up Buttercup

I had three quilt tops done. One for 6 weeks or so, one just finished and one for 5 months. They were hanging there looking at me, and I kept thinking that I needed to do something about them. Awhile back I had cut out the battings for them off of my giant roll of batting, thinking that at least that part would be done and ready for me when I got to them. But that was all I had done.

So yesterday I told myself to suck it up and get the backings ready and pin baste them. One is baby size, one only 55 inches square and the largest is about 72 inches square.
So first I pin basted this little one. This is for the Hands 2 Help Comfort Quilt campaign. I had bought some half yards of Little Clementine last fall, thinking what a cute child's quilt they would make. Since I never did anything with them, I decided to do it now.

And the first one is done and ready to quilt, as soon as I figure that out. I want it to be soft for a baby.
 Then, there's this one. Not too big, and I already have a quilting plan for this one, so I'm ready to go.
 I had these two pretties with nowhere to go, so I pieced them together and the backing was done.
And I have begun the quilting on it. Just barely started, but I am already pleased with my choices.
 And then there's this big beast. It took me a whole year to get this thing pieced, if you'll remember. And I am just going to meander all over it to give all those tiny pieces strength.
Funny thing though, my Bernina BSR decided not to play nice yesterday when I started. My machine is a 440 QE and there isn't much troubleshooting on line for this older machine. But I did see where someone suggested to use the darning foot, drop the feed dogs and just free motion quilt. Kinda like taking the training wheels off your bike. So I tried it this morning and I did it!! Feel so lucky to be able to get this thing done. I have quilted about a quarter of it so far. Man! that's hard work.

So that's what's going on here right now, along with crochet, hand stitching, embroidery and baking. I am keeping busy. Hope you are as well. Talk to you soon.


1 comment:

Karen S said...

Well done getting on top of all that basting. It is a big job but good to get out of the way.
I have the same machine as you and was taught to use that FMQ method without the BSR to allow a bit more flexibility. I use it both ways and am comfortable with either.
Glad it worked for you.