fabricologist

fabricologist

Saturday, June 12, 2021

I Made an Apron!

 I had been seeing those cross strap aprons all over the internet in the past year. You know, the ones that are long-ish and criss cross in the back, but have no apron strings? I have seen many that I love, but being able to sew, I wasn't about to buy one. So I googled patterns. I found LOTS of patterns.

The one I ended up choosing was a free tutorial from Susan of aboxoftwine.com. She is also on Instagram as @aboxoftwine. She mostly does crochet and such, and her version of this apron has a cute crocheted pocket. I decided to take this tutorial and make my own version of it.

I found a gorgeous canvas from Rifle Paper Co. on Fabricworm. Linen was Susan's choice, but I wanted something colorful, and a print as well. This is not a very heavy canvas. I pre-washed it, since I know canvas is prone to shrinking. I had decided to line mine, whereas Susan did not line hers. I used and Art Gallery print called Lyricist's Diary from the Raise the Volume collection. I chose Art Gallery because it's so light weight, plus I love the print. I added the two pockets to the front.

Here's a shot of the back. I am so happy with this and once I train myself to wear it all the time in the kitchen, my clothes will thank me. I cook and bake a lot, so I needed this. Also, it's a nod to my Great Aunt Charlotte, who I am named for. She almost always wore an apron. Every day. Check out the tutorial if you are interested in making one.

Thanks for stopping by.


3 comments:

Karen S said...

Great finish with your apron. It looks wonderful.
Yes, I never used to wear aprons but I am finding them very useful now.

Charlotte M. said...

Karen, I spent over 40 years working in food service, so you'd think I was trained to wear one, but apparently not. This one is so cute I am hoping it will be a pleasure to wear.

Brenda said...

Hello Charolotte, I was lucky enough to see your post on Bloglovin" after spending several weeks away in Colorado and in Wyoming visiting family for a reunion. My oldest step Daughter has been accepted into a Baking School in Spain beginning in the Fall of this year and I am going to be busy sewing her Aprons, Table Toppers/Runners, Placemats and Napkins along with Tea Towels and anything else that I can think of that will help her in the entertaining that will be required as part of the studies. The Apron that you created is absolutely beautiful and I believe would work perfectly with the demands required of what will be required of all of the specialized training these students will be learning. With this type of Apron she will not have to worry about messing with any ties getting in the way at any time and having to fuss with them every time they will have to take them on and off between each class and each change of subject and menu item (per say). Thank You so much for sharing your experience in creating the brilliant apron and for sharing the link for the pattern where you got the exact pattern. I know that my Daughter also has requested some half aprons and that link also has some patterns for those also that I may try. I hope that you have a fabulous day!